3 replies to this topic

#1 Miles O'Neal

Miles O'Neal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:17 PM

I want to verify that this should just work.
I got a report that it wasn't working for a user who is clearly an owner of the group in question.
It works fine for me if I become him and run p4v/p4admin.
It works fine for me if I become him and run "p4 group -a".

I have a query in to verify he is logged in as himself in p4v but wondered if there was anything else to look for.

#2 Dave Foglesong

Dave Foglesong

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 05:06 PM

If you have access to the server logs, I'd look there to check he's actually using his account and is running the right command. (If you're using structured logs, you can use "p4 logparse" to examine records in them without access to the server. But I find it a lot easier to just grep the logs. Or dump the logs into Splunk.)

Does the user get an error? That would normally indicate what's wrong. If he's not in the group, it would say so. Or if he's trying to use -A (instead of -a) it should say he doesn't have permission for that operation.

#3 Miles O'Neal

Miles O'Neal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:41 PM

The user had some entries in the logs, but there was no way to tell if there were others that were not his.
He said the "-a" option worked, which I expected. I'm just trying to verify whether there's anything that would interfere with his use of p4v.
The error was generic.

#4 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 06:49 PM

Make him send you a screenshot of his "Server info" screen (or whatever P4V's version of "p4 info" is) so you can see what user he's logged in as and what version of the client he's running.  If he's running an older version of P4V than you are I'd assume that's the problem and tell him to upgrade.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users