3 replies to this topic

#1 Tony Whitley

Tony Whitley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 11:33 AM

I'm struggling to work out what Helix4Git does.  Is it
  • a way of speeding up access to content on Git servers (using Perforce technology, a kind of P4 proxy) "But Git doesn't scale to solve complex development challenges. This leads to slowdowns."
  • a way of allowing Git users to use Git commands on a Perforce server "Perforce Git tools allow your Git developers to work on code in Git."
  • a way of integrating content from Git and Perforce servers "Git code (from Helix4Git) gets combined with all your other digital assets (from Helix Core) into your preferred build runner."
  • a way of allowing Perforce users to use Perforce commands on a Git server

I'm hoping (as a long-time user of Perforce who is now having to use Git) that it is 4. but that hope rapidly faded as I tried to set it up.  (I failed when my limited Linux skills met "Install the Git Connector")

#2 Matt Janulewicz

Matt Janulewicz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 29 November 2019 - 08:27 AM

It's kind of all of those things!

In my mind there are two components to it.

The first is a new kind of depot called 'graph' that stores git objects natively. Though you can't access them with a git client directly pointed to the Helix Core server, which brings us to the other part.

The git connector. It is similar to a p4 proxy but stores git repos that it transfers from the graph depot(s) on a helix core server.

Git client users then connect to the git connector in their office/region. Much like p4 proxies, you can have as many of these things as you want pointing to your main server. Or if you really want to go nuts and leverage Perforce's commit/edge architecture, you can point a git connector at an edge server. You can have the git connector populate itself on-demand or on a schedule, or both. If you set the entire server to pre-cache the git objects, then local users are cloning their git repos at local speed instead of (potentially) waiting for the initial transfer (if they're the first to request something, much like a p4proxy.)

The normal p4 command line clients can also connect directly to a graph depot in a Helix Core server, so you can theoretically use them in your normal build processes without much change. The increase in speed Perforce touts comes largely from the fact that in that case, you're syncing, etc. at p4 speeds, not 'git clone' speeds.

You can also submit with a p4 command line client, so you can have git and p4 client users working on the same code. The caveat there (in my mind) is that the graph depot is storing git objects natively, so no changelists (SHA's instead), to labels (tags instead), etc. It's git nomenclature with a p4 client, so p4 users in that case would need some git knowledge to know what's going on.

We haven't yet rolled it out to production, not sure when we will, but in my opinion it's pretty slick if you're growing into a shop that's been pure p4 but now has git demands. In our case the main problem/pain point is that we've been with GitFusion for a long time and converting is going to be a political and technical nightmare, if we want to convert long-running Gitfusion projects.
-Matt Janulewicz
Staff SCM Engineer, Perforce Administrator
Dolby Laboratories, Inc.
1275 Market St.
San Francisco, CA 94103, USA
majanu@dolby.com

#3 Tony Whitley

Tony Whitley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 03:10 PM

Thanks Matt.  So the Git connector just gives users who want to use Git commands access to the Helix server's graph (which may be faster than using the Git server in the cloud)?  So I can ignore that as my aim is to get away from Git.

I've drawn a diagram to show how I understand it to work.

Helix4Git.jpg

#4 Matt Janulewicz

Matt Janulewicz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:06 AM

Looks about right, but I think your gold colored git remote is just another git connector. The git user is going to push and pull from the same remote (the/a connector.)
-Matt Janulewicz
Staff SCM Engineer, Perforce Administrator
Dolby Laboratories, Inc.
1275 Market St.
San Francisco, CA 94103, USA
majanu@dolby.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users