2 replies to this topic

#1 Miles O'Neal

Miles O'Neal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 09:13 PM

Is there an environment variable that sets the number of parallel threads to use when syncing? I have the server set to default to 4 threads. Some use this but most syncs still use none, while a few use the max of 8. The vast majority of syncs (including most that show up in "p4 monitor show" with 4 or 8 transmit threads) don't log a "--parallel" option.

p4d  2017.1/1534792 on Linux

#2 Matt Janulewicz

Matt Janulewicz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:12 PM

Any chance the ones not using parallel threads are older clients? The ability to set parallel threads on the client, I believe, predates the server configurables. It could be that the clients are not aware of the server setting. Maybe ...?

I have a bad memory, but something else in there is telling me that clients that were server configurable aware were initially defaulted to not using parallel threads, then the default was flipped to using the server configurable at some point.

I think what I'm trying to say is that over time, p4 clients behaved differently when no '--parallel' argument was given, I just don't recall when it was changed (and difficult to find now that release notes are all separated by version! Bah!)
-Matt Janulewicz
Staff SCM Engineer, Perforce Administrator
Dolby Laboratories, Inc.
1275 Market St.
San Francisco, CA 94103, USA
majanu@dolby.com

#3 Miles O'Neal

Miles O'Neal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:05 PM

Thanks, but that's not it, or at least not the majority. By far, the biggest number of sync and submits logged are from 2017.1/1534792 p4 clients, and I see both behaviors coming from those.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sync, parallel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users