Jump to content


File Sharing


  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ShortFuse

ShortFuse

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 07:31 PM

Hi,

This has been very frustrating for me.  So here's what i am trying to achieve.  First i have created a workspace and added files to it now i have no idea how i can share this workspace with other users so they have access to the files.  The idea is that all of the users have the same exact files connected to the same unreal project so when they work on a level for example all of the files can sync and someone else can continue working when other is not. I have no idea how to achieve this.

#2 Sambwise

Sambwise

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1037 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 04:55 PM

The depot is the thing you share, not the workspace (your workspace is yours and yours alone).

If you're using P4V, you need to "Mark for Add" the files and then "Submit" them to copy them from your workspace to the depot.

Now when other users create their own workspaces and "Get Latest," the files you put into the depot will go into their workspaces.  Any changes that you or they "Submit" to the depot will go to all the other workspaces whenever they "Get Latest".

#3 ShortFuse

ShortFuse

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:05 PM

View PostSambwise, on 26 February 2020 - 04:55 PM, said:

The depot is the thing you share, not the workspace (your workspace is yours and yours alone).

If you're using P4V, you need to "Mark for Add" the files and then "Submit" them to copy them from your workspace to the depot.

Now when other users create their own workspaces and "Get Latest," the files you put into the depot will go into their workspaces.  Any changes that you or they "Submit" to the depot will go to all the other workspaces whenever they "Get Latest".

Accept when the user presses get latest nothing happens.

#4 Sambwise

Sambwise

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1037 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:04 PM

View PostShortFuse, on 27 February 2020 - 07:05 PM, said:

Accept when the user presses get latest nothing happens.

1) You need to have submitted the file(s) to the depot.
2) The other user needs to be using their own workspace.  If they're trying to use your workspace, "get latest" will not work because you already have the latest.  (I'm bolding this because this is a very common point of confusion I've encountered when talking to many game devs over many years of helping many people set up Perforce, and your initial post talked about sharing workspaces, so I want to make it extra extra clear: each user and each computer needs to have their own workspace.  Yes, really really.)
3) The other workspace needs to have a "view" of those depot files.  Usually this isn't an issue because new workspaces view everything by default, but it's possible to configure a workspace to exclude files, so they need to have not done that.
4) Both of you need to be connected to the same server.  If you're on two different servers, nothing's getting shared.

#5 Matt Janulewicz

Matt Janulewicz

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:29 AM

I'd also recommend perusing the video tutorials, very helpful: https://www.perforce...video-tutorials

Especially these two to get started. Even if you're using the command line, the P4V videos give a good overview of the same workflow you would use:

https://www.perforce...-basic-workflow
https://www.perforce...-workspaces-p4v
-Matt Janulewicz
Currently unemployed, looking for work in Boise, ID!

#6 ShortFuse

ShortFuse

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 05:38 PM

View PostSambwise, on 27 February 2020 - 11:04 PM, said:

1) You need to have submitted the file(s) to the depot.
2) The other user needs to be using their own workspace.  If they're trying to use your workspace, "get latest" will not work because you already have the latest.  (I'm bolding this because this is a very common point of confusion I've encountered when talking to many game devs over many years of helping many people set up Perforce, and your initial post talked about sharing workspaces, so I want to make it extra extra clear: each user and each computer needs to have their own workspace.  Yes, really really.)
3) The other workspace needs to have a "view" of those depot files.  Usually this isn't an issue because new workspaces view everything by default, but it's possible to configure a workspace to exclude files, so they need to have not done that.
4) Both of you need to be connected to the same server.  If you're on two different servers, nothing's getting shared.

I see.  I am clear on workspaces and i see why this works the way it does.  First step would be to get our own worksplaces going he would have to create a new blank project in unreal engine and add it to his worspace then use "get latest"  after i mark all of the files and submit them to update his folders in his worspace so they mach mine? Do we set up perforce as the source control in unreal engine first or after he "Gets Latest"  from the depot?  I assume once all of that is done any changes we make in the level or code can be submitted and synced by "Get Latest"?

#7 Sambwise

Sambwise

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1037 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 07:19 PM

View PostShortFuse, on 28 February 2020 - 05:38 PM, said:

First step would be to get our own worksplaces going he would have to create a new blank project in unreal engine and add it to his worspace then use "get latest"  after i mark all of the files and submit them to update his folders in his worspace so they mach mine?

I'm not familiar with the Unreal editor but that doesn't sound right to me.  He should just create his workspace and "Get Latest" to sync the project that you already submitted.  If he creates his own project first it seems like it's going to get in the way of the files he's trying to sync down from you.

Quote

Do we set up perforce as the source control in unreal engine first or after he "Gets Latest"  from the depot?

I'd do it after; again, not that familiar with Unreal, but my recollection from secondhand descriptions is that it mostly requires you to set everything up in a full Perforce client (e.g. P4V) before you can actually use the editor integration.

Quote

I assume once all of that is done any changes we make in the level or code can be submitted and synced by "Get Latest"?

Yes, as long as you open the files and submit them; you need to do this explicitly each time you finish working on a change that you want to share with the rest of the team.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users