• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Mathisxy

Mathisxy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 08:16 PM

Hey Guys, lately I struggled installing a Perforce Server on a Google Cloud Platform Virtual Machine. I did not have much experience, so it took me several days to figure it out. If someone else with little knowledge wants to do the same, I think this little guide will help.

I made a website, where I constantly update this tutorial: http://www.how-to-gu...nceForPerforce/

Setting up your Google Cloud Computing Virtual Machine: First of all you have to get familiar with the GCP Console, but I guess this is the most harmless thing. After that you may go to Compute Engine at the sidebar, VM Instances and than at the top Create Instance. After that you can play with the Settings:

Region: There are different prices for different regions, Iowa is one of the cheapest currently. To apply for the always free tier you need to select instead of n1-standard the f1-micro and a region which offers it, to get the running costs free.

Boot Disk: Click change and select as much GB as you want and Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, which worked for me. Consider that more space does cost more. Currently 30GB in selected Regions are free.

Static IP: If you want an IP, that doesn´t change by restarting the VM you may select a static IP. You can use one static IP address for free, as long as it is connected to a VM. For setup that you need to expand the Management, security, disks, networking, sole tenancy Menu at the very bottom, navigate to networking and then under network interfaces click on the default... button, to expand the network interface. There you need to modify the External IP by clicking on create IP address. Before selecting reserve:

Network Tier: Here you may also consider the Network Service Level. The "Upload Traffic" is free, but the "download Traffic" does costs currently for me 0.085$ per GB in Standard Tier. But if you use the standard tier, especially long distance traffic gets slightly worse. (I recommend using your Start-Credit to try several settings to see what works best for you.)

After that you can click create.

Tweaking the Firewall-Settings: Now there is the magic: You need to click on the 3 dots aside the SSH Connect Button and then Click on Network Details. Then click on Firewall rules at the sidebar and create a new one. There you need to activate tcp at 1666 incoming and IP Range 0.0.0.0/0. (Edit: Be aware that this decreases the security of your running instance)

Youtube-Reference for installing p4d: I made a youtube tutorial how to simply install Perforce on a GCP VM: https://youtu.be/F5J4EKi3AmM

If you still have questions feel free to ask! Good luck

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hosted, p4d, GCP, Google Cloud Platform, Installation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users