• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 dtveraas

dtveraas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 03:10 AM

I'm following this tutorial, which may be my problem to begin with, so if you know a better beginner guide, please let me know.

Anyway, during the P4V part of this instruction I've come across a lot of issues, but I think they may come from the same source. When marking a file to Add, the Log says "file(s) not in client view". When I Get Latest Revision of a Depot, it says "no such file(s)".

The ultimate goal was to use this Perforce server (via a digitalocean droplet) as my source control for UE4 projects. I'm able to connect to Perforce in UE4 but I keep getting a "Failed checking source control status!" message.

My Googling has lead me nowhere, but I'll press on. I appreciate any suggestions you may have.

#2 aoakenfo

aoakenfo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 05:34 AM

If you Get Latest Revision from an empty Depot, it will say "no such file(s)".

If it says "file(s) not in client view" that means your workspace mapping is wrong. Edit your workspace view (in text mode) and make sure you have the correct path (see attached image).

Attached Thumbnails

• ll4.png

#3 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1192 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 05:35 AM

There's a "Getting Started With P4V" doc on Perforce's website: https://www.perforce...ng_started.html

I'd recommend following that first -- if nothing else, if you get stuck on something and need to ask for help it's easy to refer to the spot you got stuck on (I clicked the link to the tutorial, said "ain't nobody got time for a 2 hour youtube to figure out how it told them to set up the workspace", and closed the tab).  ;)

Based on the error messages, I'm guessing the tutorial didn't do a good job of explaining workspaces and you either didn't set one up or didn't set one up that maps your local files.  In a nutshell: you need to define a workspace that says where your files are (i.e. where they live on your local machine and where they live on the server).  Everything you do with files in Perforce uses that workspace definition to decide how your local machine relates to the server.

#4 dtveraas

dtveraas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 04:02 AM

I started to try to follow the manual but just about every action was giving me the same error. Nearly every action was giving me the no client errors, so I started to wonder if Perforce was even running properly. No p4 commands were working, but I thought it must be running since I was logged into P4V, but I'm not sure that logic follows. I ran Where P4, and found nothing, but I did see an earlier message saying the server needed to restart. I ran sudo reboot, thinking that would be the soft way to do it, but I got booted from P4V and now none of the Helix programs can connect.

Connect to server failed; check $P4PORT.
TCP connect to [IP Address]:1666 failed.
connect: [IP Address]:1666: WSAECONNREFUSED

This was the same message I got before my Perforce server was actually up and running.

So it seems I am taking steps backwards. Any tips?

#5 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1192 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 04:58 AM

Sounds like the Perforce server (p4d) isn't running.  The "Getting Started with P4V" guide assumes that part is already taken care of -- do you have a Perforce admin, or are you also learning how to set up the server on your own?

If you're also learning server administration, I'd avoid P4V for the time being since the server part is a lot easier from the command line anyway.  This quick start guide will walk you through basic usage: https://www.perforce...r.tutorial.html  By the time you get through that, you'll have a working server, you'll have an idea of how files and workspaces work, and P4V won't be as mystifying.  :)

#6 dtveraas

dtveraas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 05:10 AM

I'm learning to become my own Perforce admin. I'll stick to the command line now, as you recommend. Thank you for the documents. I'll see if I can get through them.

#7 dtveraas

dtveraas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 01:29 AM

I'm confused with a step in this part of the guide: https://www.perforce.....<br /><br />The step is to:
"Create a file called /etc/apt/sources.list.d/perforce.list with the following line:
deb http://package.perforce.com/apt/ubuntu {distro} release
Where {distro} is replaced by one of the following: precise, trusty, xenial or bionic."

Am I using that line to create a file or is this asking me to create a file with that name and the file contains that line? The wording leaves me perplexed. Either way does not seem to work so far, I'm getting command not recognized for various combinations of attempts.

#8 dtveraas

dtveraas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 01:33 AM

Never mind. This worked:

echo "deb http://package.perforce.com/apt/ubuntu bionic release" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/perforce.list

I'm surprised the instructions don't just say that.

#9 dtveraas

dtveraas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 01:41 AM

Here is an issue: It is saying an existing Perforce Server exists in the environment. So I don't understand if I do or don't have Perforce running. How should I proceed?

#10 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1192 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 01:50 AM

View Postdtveraas, on 12 May 2020 - 01:41 AM, said:

Here is an issue: It is saying an existing Perforce Server exists in the environment.

What's "it"?

Disclaimer: I've never used the package-based installation, so it might be using some kind of config script that has its own error messages that I've never encountered.

If you just start up p4d normally and there's already a p4d running it'll give you a helpful message like "port in use" so you know that you can either (a) use a different port or (b) connect to the existing server on that same port, but it's not obvious to me how you'd start debugging an error as vague as "an existing Perforce server exists".  Does it point you at a specific directory, or port, or anything like that to give you an idea what's causing the conflict?

#11 dtveraas

dtveraas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 01:57 AM

After I attempt to Install the package by running sudo apt-get install helix-p4d, I get this message:

" In order to prevent unintentional changes to existing Perforce environments, this package cannot be installed while that binary exists.

If you have an existing Perforce Server, and wish to start using this package to manage your Perforce environment, then follow these steps:
- Checkpoint and backup your existing server
- Delete (or rename) the current p4d binary
- Install this package
- Create a new p4dctl configuration for your existing server
(see the instructions in /etc/perforce/p4dctl.conf.d/README)

dpkg: error processing archive /tmp/apt-dpkg-install-pktbwj/5-helix-p4d_2020.1-1953492~bionic_amd64.deb (--unpack):
new helix-p4d package pre-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
/tmp/apt-dpkg-install-pktbwj/5-helix-p4d_2020.1-1953492~bionic_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1) "

#12 dtveraas

dtveraas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 01:58 AM

Sorry, the "It" was the console I was using to install to the digitalocean droplet.

#13 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1192 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 01:58 AM

Based on that error message, I'd just delete the current p4d binary and try again.  If you forget where you put it, "which p4d" ought to tell you.

#14 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1192 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 02:00 AM

View Postdtveraas, on 12 May 2020 - 01:58 AM, said:

Sorry, the "It" was the console I was using to install to the digitalocean droplet.

FWIW, if you're just trying to learn how to use Perforce, I think it's a lot easier to do it on your local machine.  The server runs on every platform and it works basically the same way everywhere, so even if you're ultimately planning to use Linux for your production server, the learning process will probably go a lot faster if you run it on your local Mac/Windows/whatever machine instead of a remote system that you aren't already super familiar with.  Almost all of the knowledge will transfer over, and the parts that won't are things you probably don't need to be learning in parallel anyway (i.e. all this Linux configuration stuff you're dealing with right now).

#15 dtveraas

dtveraas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 03:03 AM

It looks like deleting the p4d and starting over worked. I was even able to log in with P4V this time.

I went ahead and created a workspace, but when it finished running through all the files in the folder, it not only said file(s) not in client view for each of the files, at the end the message was 1 error reported No files to submit.

I think I'm back to square 1, but that is better than the five steps backwards I was at.

#16 dtveraas

dtveraas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 03:26 AM

I added the whole Depot tree to my Workspace Mappings and I get 8 files added, no files updated.

Marking files to add still says file(s) not in client view. Attempting to submit files results in "No open files found".

I'm not seeing any other instructions in the getting started in P4V guide about troubleshooting mapping workspace.

I don't know what is happening but it feels like the perforce server is not acknowledging my local files.

#17 dtveraas

dtveraas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 03:50 AM

My Workspace Mappings include 'depot' and 'spec' (I'm assuming that is some sort of default), with 'depot' empty and 'spec' containing 'client', 'depot', 'server', and 'user'. I don't see the higher level 'depot' in my windows explorer view, but it looks like Perforce did create a 'spec' folder in my chosen Workspace. There are some .p4s files in those sub-folders.

If I try to add maps to my file locations that match my explorer locations, I get 'Error in client specification. Mapping 'location' is not under '//spec/...'

Any tips on how to fix this? I would have expected to have the ability to map to anywhere on the Workspace. What are the rules to this? The Guide's section on this is short.

#18 dtveraas

dtveraas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 04:27 AM

Following this article: https://community.pe...<br /> <br /> It says moving files to the depot directory may solve the issue. Assuming this is correct, how do I move local files to the server? I thought that was part of what I was using P4V for in the first place, the ability to add/sync files to the server. Did I miss something from the setup instructions?

#19 dtveraas

dtveraas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 04:35 AM

Running the command in the article above "p4 client -o clientname", I do see that the only "Views" are //spec/ and //depot/ which must be some sort of defaults, I guess? In P4V I can see my local files in the Workspace, but only the "Views" in the Depot. How do I reconcile these differences?

#20 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1192 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 06:02 AM

It sounds like once you opened up P4V things may have gone a bit off the rails.  :)  How far did you get in the tutorial I linked earlier?  It walks through creating a stream depot, creating a stream, creating a workspace, and adding files.  It's all pretty simple, but each step depends on the previous one (you can't add files if you have nothing to add them to, etc) so if you skip one then it's hard for me to reconstruct what got missed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: P4V, Errors, UE4, Perforce

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users