2 replies to this topic

#1 Mikey_bravo

Mikey_bravo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 04:45 AM

Hi all,

I need your help regarding Perforce license for my small dev team. So our situation currently is we have 11 users with paid license and the expiration date is by the end of this month. Unfortunately due to the pandemic and recession we are forced to implement an efficiency measure including essential service.

So I read that Perforce offer 5 users and 20 workplaces for free. Based on that information, we are planning to reduce the seats and rollback to free-license. The question is if we reduce/delete the seat from 11 to 5 seats will the license automatically change into the 5-user free license? So are we able to rollback to 5-user free license from paid license?

Does anyone has experience on this matter? As I'm worried even if we already free up the user to 5 and workspace to 20 the account will be locked as we don't have the paid license.

Thanks beforehand.

#2 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1175 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 04:25 PM

Unless the licensing has changed at some point in the last few years, you should be able to continue using your current license in perpetuity as long as you don't upgrade the server to a newer version (as long as it's a paid license and not a temporary/eval license, which have more of a 'hard' expiration policy).

If you want to switch to the "unlicensed" version so you can continue to upgrade (beware that this puts you at the mercy of future changes to how many users are allowed by the unlicensed server), you can test this out by renaming your license file (so it's no longer recognized by the server) and then restarting the server.  If you're over the unlicensed limit, the server will refuse to start (and you can recover by putting the license file back).

#3 Mikey_bravo

Mikey_bravo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 02:16 AM

View PostSambwise, on 18 June 2020 - 04:25 PM, said:

Unless the licensing has changed at some point in the last few years, you should be able to continue using your current license in perpetuity as long as you don't upgrade the server to a newer version (as long as it's a paid license and not a temporary/eval license, which have more of a 'hard' expiration policy).

If you want to switch to the "unlicensed" version so you can continue to upgrade (beware that this puts you at the mercy of future changes to how many users are allowed by the unlicensed server), you can test this out by renaming your license file (so it's no longer recognized by the server) and then restarting the server.  If you're over the unlicensed limit, the server will refuse to start (and you can recover by putting the license file back).

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. I'll try to switch to the unlicensed version today. I'll update the result later. Cheers!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: license, rollback, p4v

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users