• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 QHovey

QHovey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 08:54 PM

Back in the days of using a classic depot, every developer had to setup their workspace view independently. We have now moved over to a Stream depots for smarter branching, and it's nice that I can basically control the workspace view for every stream.

But I find myself wanting to create a ton of different virtual streams that limit the view of Mainline for every possible configuration and developer preference.

Designers exclude Source code and art source files
Engineers exclude Binaries and art source files.
QA just wants the bare minimum of binaries to run the game.
Artists exclude source files.
Artists tend to want to exclude all art source files, but include only their own (This one leads to many views, as it'll be different for every artist).

With classic depots, everyone could view the depot how they want. Is there a way to achieve this sort of "Per Developer View" other than making a virtual stream for every developer? With the recent move to all work remotely from home, having a depot view limited to only the files you care about has become more important, since not everyone has the best internet and download speeds at home.

#2 Sambwise

Sambwise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1175 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 02:18 PM

If you want your own unique view of the depot, that view needs to exist somewhere -- in a "classic" model it's in your workspace (which is unique anyway), and in a "stream" model the view is the stream spec (which can be shared between arbitrarily many workspaces that want the same view).  So if each individual user wants their own view, then in a stream model it means they each have their own stream.

Note that just working on your own files doesn't necessarily mean that you need a view which maps only those files; you can just avoid syncing the files you don't want to work on!  (In a classic model I'd typically map the entire depot and just sync the files I wanted.)

#3 QHovey

QHovey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 05:46 PM

Thanks for the reply. I was just making sure I wasn't missing anything. I think we have the bad habit of just syncing the root every time, and thus we like the limit our view so we can blindly sync the root. This all makes sense, and I'll make a few virtual streams for the Binary and Source code exclusions, since those are actually in many different folders because of various plugins. The Artists can manually sync the art source folders they need.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Streams, Workspace, Views

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users