GeorgeH's Content

There have been 13 items by GeorgeH (Search limited from 23-October 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#25130 Multiple Workspaces

Posted by GeorgeH on 25 July 2019 - 03:05 PM in P4V

Yeah pretty much.

I'll connect to it within UE4's Source Controls section, which connects fine, but it's not connected when I reopen the project after closing it.

Edit: Managed to solve it. The Settings that save Source control details was set to Read-Only. Unticking this has solved the issue. :)

#25128 Multiple Workspaces

Posted by GeorgeH on 25 July 2019 - 02:53 PM in P4V

Thanks for that!

I've noticed something with how I've set things up though.
When I connect a project to Perforce, make a change, submit it etc, close the project then reopen it's not connected to perforce. I have to manually keep reconnecting it every time. Any ideas? :)

#25123 Multiple Workspaces

Posted by GeorgeH on 24 July 2019 - 07:44 PM in P4V

Finally!

Thank you so much for your help - I really appreciate it!

#25121 Multiple Workspaces

Posted by GeorgeH on 24 July 2019 - 07:28 PM in P4V

I've just spotted where I was going wrong, after 2 weeks of trying to figure this out.

With the screen grab I sent in my previous post, I noticed the 'Stream Type' was set to development, which for some reason wasn't picking up on the streams I had made.
I've changed that to 'mainline' instead of 'development', and I can have different depots and each one tied to it's individual workspace. Not sure if this is good practice or not, but it seems to be working fine! :)

#25119 Multiple Workspaces

Posted by GeorgeH on 24 July 2019 - 06:42 PM in P4V

This is starting to make more sense now.

This is the bit that's confusing me...
I've created a depot, added a stream and workspace etc, and this links to UE4 perfectly. All pushes, initial commits etc are showing in the history of P4V - all fine and working.

Now, when I try to recreate the steps, I get the following (screen grab attached).

This is what I was trying to say above, I don't think I explained myself properly, so I appologise for that. I've added into the screen grab more details about what I'm confused about.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

#25116 Multiple Workspaces

Posted by GeorgeH on 24 July 2019 - 04:31 PM in P4V

I've been playing around with P4V some more, and I've managed this.

I've got all of my current UE4 Projects in a Stream Depot/Workspace, and each project can connect to it perfectly. However, I'm now wondering how I could essentially have each project on a different workspace, rather than the same one?

Two screen grabs of my current P4V layout have been attached to this reply to give you a better understanding. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.jpg
  • Capture2.jpg

#25112 Multiple Workspaces

Posted by GeorgeH on 24 July 2019 - 01:31 PM in P4V

It's trying to recreate them steps to make another depot for a new project where is doesn't show the 'Add Files Wizard' to add the UE4 project into it.

#25108 Multiple Workspaces

Posted by GeorgeH on 23 July 2019 - 04:06 PM in P4V

I wrote down the steps I do to get one UE4 Project working, but I cannot seem to re-create these steps.

P4V - Creating a Depot, Streamline and Mainline

- Open P4Admin
   - File > New > Depot
   - Depot Type > Stream (a local depot that stores stream files)
- OK.

- Open P4V
   - Select the depot previously made
   - File > New > Stream
	  - Name the Stream
	  - Stream Type > mainline
	  - Depot: Name of previously made depot in P4Admin (Auto populated)
	  - Description: Depot Created By USER.
	  - Create a Workspace to use with this stream [TICKED]
	  - Populate the mainline stream after it is created [TICKED]
   - OK.
   - Helix P4V Pop-up Window
	  'The stream "mainline" is empty.
	  'Choose one of the options below to populate the stream:'
	  - Copy Files from the local file system (Chose this one)
	  - Branch Files from the server's depot
		 - Add Files Wizard
		 - mainline (//DEPOT_NAME/mainline)
		 - Browse to where the UE4 Project is located on my PC
		 - Next
- Finish

#25099 Multiple Workspaces

Posted by GeorgeH on 22 July 2019 - 03:48 PM in P4V

I have been playing around with P4V and P4Admin these past few days and seem to be getting 'somewhere', but I'm getting confused on how I add a project to a depot, and then create a workspace for it. I'm hosting the server locally on my PC, so I'm not sure if that's causing any conflicts. And I'm also using the free version, which I'm not sure as well if that's causing issues or not.

Ideally, I'd be happy with the two following set up of projects

Have one depot, with each of my UE4 Projects under that one depot
UE4_Projects
Project1
Project2

Or, have 1 depot for each projects
Game1
Project_Files
Game2
Project_Files

#25094 Multiple Workspaces

Posted by GeorgeH on 19 July 2019 - 08:41 AM in P4V

Okay, fantastic! Thanks for that! I can connect now using command-line commands.

When I mentioned about a project being duplicated, this is how my Depot looks in P4V:

depot
streamsDepot
	 mainline (mainline)
		  Project1
	 Project2
		  Project1
I did try to make another depot for a new project, but it just seems to have taken the path for my existing project rather than duplicate it. As for this 'depot' or 'streamDepot' with Project2, I haven't been able to remove it from P4V. I've been searching around to try to understand how to use P4V, but it seems confusing in certain places.

With the 'p4 info' command, my Client Name returns it's name, but with (illegal) after the name. Before this was set to my port, which I've changed, but it's still saying illegal.

#25089 Multiple Workspaces

Posted by GeorgeH on 18 July 2019 - 07:33 PM in P4V

Ideally, I'd prefer a depot for each project to help keep them separated and easier for me to keep track of things.
I've managed to create a new mainstream depot (I believe), and it seems to have duplicated my existing project. I've been trying to delete this, but I cannot seem to get command line to connect to the server. Or even trying to create a new depot though command line I get this error:

I always get this error with any p4 command
Perforce client error:
   Connect to server failed; check $P4PORT.
   TCP Connect to SERVER_NAME:1666 failed.
   No such host is known.

#25085 Multiple Workspaces

Posted by GeorgeH on 18 July 2019 - 06:44 PM in P4V

Okay that makes sense.

The thing that is confusing me is that, when I try to add another workspace for a new project, I don't get how I'm meant to link that workspace to a UE4 project.
If I want the projects workspaces to be complete separate, do I create a new Depot for each project?

#25075 Multiple Workspaces

Posted by GeorgeH on 16 July 2019 - 04:05 PM in P4V

Hi there.

I've very recently installed Helix and P4V to use along side UE4 as my main source control.

For some odd reason, I cannot work out how I add multiple workspaces. When setting up P4V, I have managed to add in a workspace which links to UE4 fine and vice versa. However, when I'm trying to create a new Workspace, I am not getting the 'Add Files to Server' window, which appeared when setting up the first workspace.

Any ideas?